Here at Pop up Art School, we get to meet a lot of librarians and we feel a kinship between teachers and librarians. Here’s why:
- Librarians are unflappable. They work with the public, and ahem, have to deal with the public. Just like teachers, they have to juggle multiple tasks and personalities, all while remaining calm on the surface.
- Even though it’s not in their job title they are teachers at heart. Through experience, they understand the logistics of leading a group of people in a program or lesson.
- Like teachers they are not getting paid the big bucks but they value the satisfaction from helping someone and making a difference.
- Librarians work hard to connect to their community. Having already done the “market research” they intuitively know what programs their patrons will value. Teachers value connecting with their students and develop a feel for how to be effective in the classroom.
- Teachers and librarians know that reading is the foundation of learning. Both professions nobly strive to spark a love of books and knowledge.